Review: The Fault in Our Stars

 Despite the tumor-shrinking medical miracle that has bought her a few years, Hazel has never been anything but terminal, her final chapter inscribed upon diagnosis. But when a gorgeous plot twist named Augustus Waters suddenly appears at Cancer Kid Support Group, Hazel's story is about to be completely rewritten.








 
Holy crap. 


HOLY FREAKING CRAP.



OH MY FREAKING HOLY CRAP. 

THIS BOOK IS SO GOOD. 

I don't normally fangirl much but this book deserves it, BIGTIME. It is honestly one of my favourite books of all time. It's just that good. I laughed, I cried, I smiled, I felt every possible emotion while reading this book. It wasn't just a book. It was an experience.

I was skeptical of the rave reviews this book kept getting, but honestly, none of those reviews lie. Not even a little bit. John Green deserves all the praise that he has gotten, plus more. I'm 100% serious. 

From the moment I picked this book up, I couldn't put it down. The characters are instantly lovable, and intriguing. The various plot lines and characters sprinkled throughout this book make it very diverse and eye opening. Yes, this is a book about cancer, I'm not going to avoid that fact. But I believe that it is written in the best possible way for the subject. John Green expertly synthesizes the unfortunate and sad truths of this tragic disease, with insightful and inspiring life advice. The characters are extremely strong and intelligent. For me, reading this book really put my life into perspective. I may get upset about little things that go wrong in my life, but there are people going through things way worse than me, and they are handling them impeccably. I found a great amount of inspiration in this book, even though it is a work of fiction. The message that John Green is displaying to his readers is one that everyone can apply to their life in some way. No matter what situation you have been placed in in your life, there are always good things to hold on to. And everyone has negative things in their lives, and they do not define who you are. Although Hazel has cancer, she realizes that she is not cancer. She is Hazel. I think that this motif of self is very inspiring and relevant in today's society.   

Some other things that kept me hooked on this book, were:
-the adorable romance
-the humourous narration by Hazel 
-the visuals and settings presented in the book
-John Green's style of writing
-the natural flow of the story, and the relatability


Overall, this book was- oh, JUST GO READ IT! NOW! xD


The Good: characters, writing style, humour, adorableness....I could go on forever...
The Bad: ummm, what?
The Verdict: no question about it. a solid 10/10. 


keep readin' it write!
Megan    

2 comments:

  1. Oh god TFIOS is like the literal BEST BOOK EVER! Rachel has honestly like 6 copies of it. She's addicted to buying them! So glad you loved it as much as we do!

    -Megan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So I didn't write this review but I read it around the same time as Megan and AJSKFHLASKJHSDF SO FREAKING GOOD. Definitely one of the best books I've read all year!! I need more John Green!
      -Rachel

      Delete

 
read it write © 2012 | Designed by Canvas Art, in collaboration with Business Listings , Radio stations and Corporate Office Headquarters