Labels:

Green Angel by Alice Hoffman

Left on her own when her family dies in a terrible disaster, fifteen-year-old Green is haunted by loss and by the past. Struggling to survive physically and emotionally in a place where nothing seems to grow and ashes are everywhere, Green retreats into the ruined realm of her garden. But in destroying her feelings, she also begins to destroy herself, erasing the girl she'd once been as she inks darkness into her skin. It is only through a series of mysterious encounters that Green can relearn the lessons of love and begin to heal enough to tell her story.

I've had this book FOREVER sitting on my shelf and honestly, I'm not sure why it took me so long to read it. It's SHORT. (128 pages, seriously!) and so it wasn't even like it was a time commitment or anything. No huge risk factor with this book. So anyways, I FINALLY got around to reading it.

I liked this book. Even after thinking about it for a few days, I'm still not 100% sure what the message of the book was supposed to be (and I'm almost positive there was supposed to be some kind of meaning) but I still feel like it affected me in some way.

The book doesn't have a lot of dialogue, which somehow seems to add to the mood of the story. The story gives off a very detached, isolated feeling which, I think, is exactly how Green feels throughout most of the book. It's also eerie and sort-of mysterious with hints of slightly creepy every so often. (hence why it's here for Spooky October!) I liked the description in the book and also the growth of Green's character. 

I don't really have a ton to say about this book, especially since it was so short, but I just know that I really did like it. It wasn't exactly WOW HERE READ THIS *SHOVES IN FACE* I WONT BE YOUR FRIEND IF YOU DONT READ IT but it certainly was not a waste of time. It was good.

The Good: Mood, character growth
The Bad: A bit slow
The Verdict: 7/10

Rachel

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
read it write © 2012 | Designed by Canvas Art, in collaboration with Business Listings , Radio stations and Corporate Office Headquarters