Labels:

Review: The Hunger Pains: A Parody by The Harvard Lampoon

WINNING MEANS WEALTH, FAME, AND A LIFE OF THERAPY LOSING MEANS DEATH, BUT ALSO FAME! THIS IS THE HUNGER PAINS When Kantkiss Neverclean replaces her sister as a contestant on the Hunger Games—the second-highest-rated reality TV show in Peaceland, behind Extreme Home Makeover—she has no idea what to expect. Having lived her entire life in the telemarketing district’s worst neighborhood, the Crack, Kantkiss feels unprepared to fight to the death while simultaneously winking and looking adorable for the cameras. But when her survival rests on choosing between the dreamy hunk from home, Carol Handsomestein, or the doughy klutz, Pita Malarkey, Kantkiss discovers that the toughest conflicts may not be found on the battlefield but in her own heart . . . which is unfortunately on a battlefield.


When I saw this book on the shelf at the library and read the back, I was completely ready for a funny, witty and clever parody. I love parodies of anything- Star Trek, Harry Potter, Twilight, whatever. So long as it's witty and amusing, it's all good with me. Unfortunately, this book just kinda fell flat for me. The synopsis hinted at the kind of humour I really enjoy- the witty, clever kind, but the majority of the jokes weren't like that and just didn't really do it for me.

There was only a handful of jokes in the entire book that amused me. There was a few spots that truly were good jokes, ones that made me chuckle, but for the majority of the book I was just close to cringing.

I did like the fact that it was fairly short and quick- perfect for one of those day or two days when you don't have something to read and want a book that takes little energy and is nice entertainment to tide you over until you can get something more serious.

It swapped out character names, like in the synopsis, for ones that were similar but somewhat funny. These were amusing to start, but then all the jokes just kept going in a similar fashion- nothing especially funny or creative.

Of course, like always, this might appeal to someone else. Since it is a comedy there will very likely be people with a different sense of humor than I that will probably find this quite hilarious.

The Good: A few make-you-smile jokes, and a nice quick, short read.
The Bad: Not my type of humor- many of the jokes fell flat.
The Verdict: 1.5/5

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
read it write © 2012 | Designed by Canvas Art, in collaboration with Business Listings , Radio stations and Corporate Office Headquarters