Top Ten Tuesday #5


Top Ten Tuesday is  weekly meme hosted by The Broke and Bookish. Each week they give a topic, and then other blogs make their top ten list for that topic. 

This week's topic is: Top Ten Bookish Confessions (Anything! You dog ear, you hated a book but said you loved it, you have $500 library fines...anything goes!)

So, in no particular order...here we go!

1. I (Megan) am TOO careful with my books... 
If that's even possible...I am a little bit paranoid though. All of my books are in pristine condition. I NEVER dog ear, and even one crack in the spine would probably kill me... A few weeks ago I lent a book to my brother, and I distinctly remember saying to him in a particularly stern voice: "This book better look brand new by the time I get it back, or else someone is going to be buying me a new one..." Yeah... I'm a nice sister aren't I? Ha ha... But this way, my books last forever! And they look so pretty on my bookshelf....

2. I (Megan) read too fast.
Sometimes, when I am reading a particularly good book, (ie: Divergent, Harry Potter, etc.) I read pretty fast. I want to know what happens next SO bad, that I sometimes might skim over a few of the drier paragraphs, in order to get to the good stuff. This is usually a bad idea, because it means later on in the book when the plot doesn't make a sliver of sense, I had to go back and read what I missed anyways. It seems like a good idea at the time to skip it, but in the long run, reading it then would be much easier, and smarter!  

3. I (Megan) can never actually picture character's faces. (Rachel can second this one)
This seems a little bit weird to me, does it happen to anybody else? When I read a book, I can NEVER, ever picture what the character's face would look like. (Unless of course, the author goes into full detail about the contour of the character's nose, and exactly how many freckles they have, which unfortunately does not happen too often..) I can picture their body, (height, weight, hair, even mannerisms, etc.) but they are always just a faceless figure. No matter how hard I try, I can never imagine what their facial features would be. Anyone else have this problem? Or am I the only weird one here...? Ha ha.. :P 

4. I (Megan) use random pieces of paper as bookmarks.
Even though I have a collection of about 70 or so nice, fancy bookmarks, I rarely actually use them to, well, mark books... You'll often find me sticking a movie ticket stub or a transit pass into my book instead of the lovely embossed Gryffindor House bookmark, with the gold tassel and Hogwarts crest charm on the end. I try to remember to use them, but I always forget! 

5. I (Megan) secretly hope that ebooks don't get too popular...(not too much of a secret now I guess...)
Don't get me wrong, I do understand and support the idea of saving paper and helping the environment and all that with virtual books, (I do read some ebooks on my iPad) but that means that they are, well virtual books... There's just something about actually holding the physical book, the fresh smell of cracking it open for the first time, and physically flipping the page. Not to mention the satisfying crinkle noise that flipping the page makes... Ahhh... And if ebooks took over the literature industry, that beautiful experience would be torn away from us... So sad... 

6. I (Megan) have started reading Eragon by Christopher Paolini two times...and never finished it... oopsies! 
I just could never get into it! I want to read it, and want to like it, but I just couldn't get myself to read very much farther than the first few chapters... It just didn't hook me in I guess... 

7. Sometimes if I (Megan) come across a new word I don't know the meaning of, I skip over it, and don't look up the definition.
I admit it! I'm just too lazy sometimes! Ha ha.. And plus, if it's a good book, I usually don't want to stop reading to do something as measly as looking up the definition of a word, that might not even mean much to the story. I should probably change that... 

8. Sometimes, if there's a book that I (Rachel) am reading, and it's not super duper fantastical, then I'll put it off.
I'll read magazines, self-published books on my ipod, fanfiction, you name it. I have to force myself to read proper books sometimes, even thought once I do I wouldn't have rather spent my time any other way.

9. I (Rachel) read more then I should at the wrong times.
I'll admit it, if I show up at school looking particularly tired one morning, it's cause I didn't get as much sleep as I should've. Sometimes books are just too good to pass up for sleeping!

10. You should never judge a book by it's cover, but sometimes I (Rachel) do.
Did you know that in the first tenth of a second (or some milliscule amount of time like that...) the first time you see a person, your brain automatically makes a first impression? And did you know that that first impression is almost always true? Well, happens to me with books sometimes. Except the being true part, since covers can be completely misleading. But seriously, if a cover looks boring, there's less of a chance I'll actually pick it up to read the back. I don't mean to, I swear! It's an unconscious thing. 

So there you have it, now you all know our deepest, darkest, bookish secrets (or at least some of them)...what are yours? 

keep readin' it write!
Megan and Rachel

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
read it write © 2012 | Designed by Canvas Art, in collaboration with Business Listings , Radio stations and Corporate Office Headquarters