Labels:

Review: Pegasus by Robin McKinley


"A gorgeously-written fantasy about the friendship between a princess and her pegasus."
Because of a thousand-year-old alliance between humans and pegasi, Princess Sylviianel is ceremonially bound to Ebon, her own pegasus, on her twelfth birthday. The two species coexist peacefully, despite the language barriers separating them. Humans and pegasi both rely on specially-trained Speaker magicians as the only means of real communication.
But it’s different for Sylvi and Ebon. They can understand each other. They quickly grow close—so close that their bond becomes a threat to the status quo—and possibly to the future safety of their two nations.

After trying to get a hold of this book for the longest time, I finally found and read it. The main reason for me reading it was the pegasus part. Horse crazy inner me just would not let me pass it up. And I'm really glad I did read it. It wasn't what I'm used to, and it's different. It's more of a tale, really, then a novel. If that makes sense... It's because there didn't seem to be a huge conflict in the book. I would have a hard time pin-pointing what exactly they were fighting against, at least until the very end. It does set up very well for a large amount of conflict and some pretty good challenges for the characters in the next book, though. But does this lack of conflict mean it was a bad book? No, I don't think so. It was more like reading about some life that I wish I had. It told the story of Sylvi and Ebon's friendship and their world. It made me envious of their lives. It was nice to read, and a happy feel-good kind of story.

What was your favourite scene in this book?
The scenes when Sylvi and Ebon had conversations were by far my favourite. Just the way they talk to each other and the way Ebon sees the world differently then Sylvi, were highly entertaining.

Do you think this book would make a good movie?
No, it wouldn't. Not because the story is bad, but because it just isn't cut out for it. It's not very fast, it's a rather slow story, and is more of a fairytale then a story with lots of conflict and action.

I'm looking forwards to the next book, it's set up for lots of action and conflict and it just might be very exciting!

The Good: Imagery, characters, setting, concept
The Bad: More of a fairytale then a complex story, but that's only a bad thing if you look at it the wrong way.
The Verdict: 4/5
Who I would recommend this too: People who like fairytales or mythical creatures or princesses.

Rachel

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
read it write © 2012 | Designed by Canvas Art, in collaboration with Business Listings , Radio stations and Corporate Office Headquarters