Labels:

Review: The Selection by Kiera Cass

For thirty-five girls, the Selection is the chance of a lifetime. The opportunity to escape the life laid out for them since birth. To be swept up in a world of glittering gowns and priceless jewels. To live in the palace and compete for the heart of the gorgeous Prince Maxon.

But for America Singer, being Selected is a nightmare. It means turning her back on her secret love with Aspen, who is a caste below her. Leaving her home to enter a fierce competition for a crown she doesn't want. Living in a palace that is constantly threatened by violent rebel attacks.
Then America meets Prince Maxon. Gradually, she starts to question all the plans she's made for herself- and realizes that the life she's always dreamed of may not compare to a future she never imagined.

This book was like a strange mixture of Divergent, The Princess Diaries, and The Bachelor. But somehow, despite it's strangeness, it worked for me. Overall the story was pretty well written and intriguing. It wasn't too slow paced, but not really action-packed either. It's got heartbreak, mystery, suspense, humour and drama. If you like any of those, you'll probably like this book. 

1. If you were in this book, what might you wear? 
Hmmmm.... Well, Rachel, that would very much depend on who I was in this book. If I was a poor girl in caste 6, then I would probably wear something plain and simple like this: 

But if I was in caste 1, or was one of the Selected, then my wardrobe would consist of threads more like this: 

2. Who was your least favourite character, and why?
My least favourite character would have to be Aspen. I know, I know, I'm supposed to like him and be wishing for America and him to find each other again and get their stolen romance back... but I don't! I just don't really understand why America is in love with him. Like, sure he is handsome, but where did their relationship come from? At the beginning of the book you are kind of thrown into the middle of it, and there is really no explanation. I just found him as a character a bit flat and boring. 

3. They are in the process of making this book into a TV show. Do you think that a TV show would work for this story? Do you think that it is the best format for it? 
I actually do think a TV show would be a good format. To me it feels like one of those stories that has a bunch of smaller plots interwoven within the one, enveloping main plot. For that reason, I think a TV show could work. Each episode could contain it's own individual conflict, while still continuing the main story arc. 

4. What is one word you could use to describe this book? 
Sugary. This book contains a lot of yummy sounding desserts, and many beautiful dresses and articles of clothing. If you are allergic to any of these girly, sugary-sweet things, then stay away from this book. 

One other thing I wanted to add in here, was that I wasn't especially happy with the characterization of America. As a main character, I feel that she should have a strong will, and know what she wants. And maybe she does, but I didn't really get a clear perception of her desires from this book. One chapter, she wants to leave the castle and go back to Aspen, and then the next she hates Aspen and wants to be with Prince Maxom. Her mood swings were a bit dizzying at times, but hopefully the sequel will clear things up a bit! 

The Good: Description, imagery, plot. 
The Bad: Characterization could've been better
The Verdict: 3.5/5

keep readin' it write!
Megan 


1 comments:

  1. If I were America I would go with Maxon (no not because he's a prince). Even though aspen loves her. I just recently got done with "The Elite" and my least favourite character is Kriss (as bad as Celeste is). Kriss is her biggest threat and should be eliminated. Natalie is dumb. Elise could be in the final three even though she wants the crown. Celeste? Ugh. . . I'm rooting Maxamerica on this one! 😉😍

    ReplyDelete

 
read it write © 2012 | Designed by Canvas Art, in collaboration with Business Listings , Radio stations and Corporate Office Headquarters